October 18, 2013 by *Onyi*
Do not speak in the hearing of a fool,
For he will despise the wisdom of your words. (New King James Version).
Who is a fool?
There are several definitions out there for this term and they are the following:
1) a person lacking in judgment or prudence
2) a harmlessly deranged person or one lacking in common powers of understanding.
Interestingly, as I looked up the dictionary meaning of this word, what came to my mind was the part of the bible that mentioned that we should not give our treasures to pigs or they will trample on it.
This verse cautions that there is a time for everything and there is a time to speak and there is a time to be silent. Most importantly, there are people that we should always be silent around because they will never understand. Talking to them will be like running around with no direction. The whole purpose of discussing which involves a give and take on both sides will be completely lost. Moreover, if this discussion gets particularly heated, you might make an unnecessary enemy.
Accept people as they are and know what kind of relationship you should have with each person. If a person lacks understanding and chooses not to understand, let it be. There are many other things to discuss.
Lord, again I pray for discernment and wisdom in my relationships with people. Let me know when to speak up and when to be silent. Teach me patience , particularly when dealing with certain personalities that rub me the wrong way.
- Proverbs 23: 6 – 8 (proverbsmeditation.wordpress.com)
- (#87) The Proverbs of Solomon 14:26-Are You Sure? (fellowshiproom.org)
- Morning Prayer October 13, 2013 (outofapureheart.com)
- A Gift Without a Bow (anappleofgold.wordpress.com)